Meeting Recap, 3/14/2017
Posted By Scott Jones
Happy Tuesday, Rotarians.
Sorry for the lack of newsletters for the past couple of weeks. I’ve been on vacation.
Need to Know
- Upcoming Speakers: Next week Jacob Stradling will speak to us about video production; on March 28th, Police Chief Doug Fanning will speak to us.
- The Easter Egg Hunt will be held on April 1st at Hubble Elementary. There will be a sign-up sheet to work the event at next week’s meeting.
- Student Government Day is April 5th.
- Our 2nd Annual Color Run is scheduled for May 6th. Sponsorship levels will be at $100, $250, and $500. The registration site is now up and running, so pass the word around.
- DARE graduation for Marshfield will be on May 3rd instead of May 4th.
Since it is spring break week for Marshfield, several members brought their kids with them today: Jenny Gardner brought son Luke; Michelle Kimrey brought kids Cooper and Gracie; Adam Blanch brought daughters Kayleigh and Lorelei; Leslie Thomas brought husband Craig and son Charlie.
We “sang” Happy Birthday to Brian Drane and Luke Gardner.
Luke Gardner, Cooper Kimrey and Charlie Thomas, with assistance from Leslie Thomas, spoke to us today about the new junior high baseball program. There are 35 kids from grades 6-8 on 3 teams. There are 4 volunteer coaches. The teams play between 30-60 games from March 20th– July. The kids are raising money for league and equipment fees through sales of sponsorships and coupon books. Sponsors with a $100.00 donation will get their name on a banner hung at games. Sponsors of $250.00 or more will get their name and logo on the banner. A copy of the sponsorship information is attached. Coupon books are being sold for $20.00 each. Each books contains coupons with savings of more than $200.00 at various restaurants and other businesses. Each player in the junior high and high school baseball programs is selling the coupon book.
Stan Whitehurst also gave us an update on the upcoming election in Webster County, which will be held 3 weeks from today. It is a light ballot this election. For Webster County voters outside of Marshfield city limits but within Marshfield School District, there are two issues on the ballot: a continuation of an existing road tax and school board elections (select 3 from 5 candidates). Voters within city limits will also vote on Alderman.
“A baseball game is simply a nervous breakdown divided into nine innings.”
Earl Wilson (1934-2005)
“Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.”
Yogi Berra (1925-2015)
Marshfield Rotary Club: Raising the bar through leadership, giving and education.
Yours in Rotary Service,
Kristin Grace Krebs