Meeting Recap, 9/27/2016
Posted By admin
Happy Tuesday, Rotarians.
Need to Know:
- Thanks to all the Rotarians who attended the Don’t Meth With Us presentation at MHS last Tuesday.
- Our club opted not to continue with pecan sales this year so Optimist Club is taking over. If you know people who would like to purchase pecans, please direct them to Optimist members. Contact Danny O’Neal for more info.
- Upcoming speakers: Next week Garin Ferguson from Mexican Villa will be with us; on October 11th, Chris Parker will give us an update on the new Marshfield Senior Center; on the 18th, we will have a presentation from Arc of the Ozarks; on the 25th, Carl Hefner from Business Incubator will be speaking to us.
- Tonight our club will be presenting a check to Boy Scout Troop 88. Between a deposit and tonight’s check, our club will be giving a total of $2,250.00 to the Scout Troop for a new trailer.
- Our Rotary District 6080 conference will be at the Hilton Convention Center in Branson on October 21-23.
Our guests today: Kelly Wood and Lorraine Sandstrom from the League of Women Voters; David Schuman, MHS counselor; and Tristan Rouse, MHS senior.
They are not guests, but it’s always great when Bill and Neva Schroder are back with us from Texas.
We had a couple of speakers today. First, Kelly Woods spoke to us about the League of Women Voters and Voter Registration Day. The League of Women Voters is a non-partisan organization of both women and men, which supports voter registration and education. The organization was founded in 1920, six months before the 19th Amendment allowed women to vote. The organization’s goals are to register people to vote and educate new voters about the process; to protect the voting process by opposing voter suppression; and empowering voters with non-partisan information and forums. The organization does not endorse candidates but occasionally will take positions on issues that have a consensus among the organization’s membership, particularly on issues relating to voting. The local chapter of the League of Women Voters has members in Greene, Christian and Webster Counties. Today is Voter Registration Day, a day to both promote new voter registration and to remind voters already on the roll to update any new information on addresses, name changes, etc. The last day to register to vote in the November 8th election is October 12th. Absentee voting opens on September 27th. You can find information about the candidates and issues at www.vote411.org. Please do your civic duty and vote on November 8th, and encourage your friends and neighbors to do the same.
Our other speaker was Marshfield Senior Tristan Rouse. Our club sponsored Tristan at Boys State this summer. Boys State is “a week to change a lifetime”. At Boys State, approximately 1000 incoming senior boys from around the state gather in Warrensburg to learn about how government works by creating “cities”. The boys are intentionally given little information about the Boys State process so they do not attend with preconceived notions. As Tristan is an aspiring journalist, he was chosen to be a managing editor in his city. Per Tristan, the Boys State experience was an amazing week, which expanded his idea of what journalism can be, and turned strangers into “brothers” whom he still keeps in contact with.
“To vote is like a payment of a debt, a duty never to be neglected, if its performance possible.”
Rutherford B. Hayes (1822-1893)
Marshfield Rotary Club: Raising the bar through leadership, giving and education.
Yours in Rotary Service,
Kristin Grace Krebs