Meeting Recap, 9/8/2015
Posted By Scott Jones
Happy Tuesday, Rotarians.
Need to Know:
- The next Rotary Park workday will be Saturday, September 12th from 8:00 AM-Noon. Please sign up to work on our website.
- Our next regularly scheduled board meeting will be at noon on Wednesday, September 16th at DD Hamilton. Our District Governor Steve Dulle would also like to meet with the board on the September 22nd at 11:15 AM at Sheila’s before our club meeting.
- Upcoming speakers: On September 15th, someone from the Sho-Me Institute will be doing a presentation to the club; on the 22nd, our DG Steve Dulle will be our speaker. On October 6, Tayna Sloan will be speaking about identity theft. On October 13th, geologist Mel Troyler will be speaking about geology in the Ozarks.
- News on our Don’t Meth with Us Project: Former addict turned motivational speaker, David Parnell, will be will speaking at a community event on Wednesday, September 16th at 7:00 PM at Marshfield High School. The event is open to all and admission is free. Please get the word out to your churches, youth groups, friends, co-workers, etc. Mr. Parnell gives a powerful presentation and I encourage everyone to attend. Our Don’t Meth with Us Committee is sponsoring his presentation.
- If you have any interest in attending Rotary District 6080 conference at Lake of the Ozarks or are interested in learning more about how to get involved in an international project, please talk to Scott Jones.
- Go ahead and put this on your calendar now: our 3rd Annual Romance Raffle will be held on Saturday, February 13, 2016.
- Go ahead and put this on your calendar now: the Marshfield Easter Egg Hunt will be held on Saturday, March 12, 2016, with a rain date of March 19th.
We honored Tom Houston’s birthday with “singing”.
We will be inducting Stella Harrison as a new member at next week’s meeting.
Our speaker today was Sammie Brakebill, owner of Green Gate Designs. For the past 4 years, Sammie has been the organizer of Marshfield’s “Small Business Saturday” event. Small Business Saturday was started by American Express to encourage people to support locally owned businesses. It is always the day after “Black Friday”. Since most people shop on Black Friday at the big box stores, Small Business Saturday events remind people to set aside some of their holiday budget to shop local. There will be a Business Expo on Small Business Saturday (November 28th) from 10 AM- 6 PM at Shook with local vendors. The Chamber of Commerce is getting involved this year by sponsoring an essay contest by Marshfield students on why you should buy local. The prize will be a $500.00 scholarship.
Sammie is also organizing a new Bridal Expo for Marshfield on January 9, 2016 at the Ritz Starlight. All of the vendors will be Marshfield businesses – no out of town or direct sales vendors – and there will be a giveaway for a vacation package. Please check out www.marshfieldbridalexpo.com.
‘”If your parents have any money left over for retirement, you have FAILED” – that is the message to brides from the U.S. wedding industry.”
Dave Barry (b. 1947)
“I was married by a judge. I should have asked for a jury.”
Groucho Marx (1890-1977)
Marshfield Rotary Club: Raising the bar through leadership, giving and education.
Yours in Rotary Service,
Kristin Grace Krebs