Meeting Recap, 5/26/2015
Posted By admin
Happy Tuesday, Rotarians.
I hope everyone had a happy and safe holiday weekend. I hope that you also took a moment to remember the reason for Memorial Day – as a day of remembrance for those who gave their lives while serving in our armed forces.
Need to Know:
- Our Installation Banquet will be held on Tuesday, June 9th from 6-9 PM at Donnie Crawford’s place (directions/map will be forthcoming). This will be a fun, family-friendly BBQ with fishing and outdoor games and I hope that all members and their families can attend. We need a headcount on attendance by the end of the month, so please email or call me this week if you plan to attend. There is no charge for attending but I am requesting volunteers to bring side dishes/desserts/drinks. If you can bring something, please sign up at next week’s meeting or contact me. Big thanks to Adam Blanch for organizing this event.
- Our next board meeting is on Thursday, June 25th at noon at DD Hamilton. All are welcome.
- Our speaker on June 2nd will be Robin Rader who will talk about the work that she does with a therapy dog. The Executive Committee (aka our Board) is responsible for scheduling speakers for June.
- Our Niangua Interact Club needs hangers for its Clothes Pantry. So if you have any extra hangers you can part with, please bring them to one of our weekly meetings or make other arrangements with Leslie Thomas.
- Go ahead and put this on your calendar now: our 3rd Annual Romance Raffle will be held on Saturday, February 13, 2016.
I sent out a Bat Signal last week for help in finding a speaker for our meeting, but unfortunately Batman didn’t show up. I received no volunteers or input for a speaker for today. Oh well. Fortunately we had plenty of stuff to discuss.
Danny O’Neal put in $40 “happy dollars” for his upcoming 40th wedding anniversary. Congratulations!
Don Stockton sent me an email stating that that Marshfield was ranked as the 5th best town to raise a family by a blog called Niche.
Scott Jones has resurrected the club website and is now seeking input and help with content, specifically from the Public Relations Committee. Scott also would like to do committee assignments for the upcoming year soon, so be thinking about that.
I announced the results of our scholarship committee’s results. Once again we had funds for two scholarships. We had 33 applications for those two scholarships. The recipients are Brittany Laine Martin and Deidra Michelle Whitlock. Both young women are in the top 10% of their class, are involved in both community and school activities and have part time jobs. Amy Wilkerson presented them with their scholarships at graduation. Thank you to the scholarship committee members for all their hard work. It would be great if we could get these ladies to come to a meeting to speak about their higher education plans. If anyone knows Brittany and/or Deidra and could contact them about attending a club meeting, please let me know.
June has 5 Tuesdays. Don asked if we had any plans for a 5th Tuesday social event. No plans for an event have been made because we have our Installation Banquet next month, but if there is interest in having another social event in late June, we can make that happen. Is there any interest in having a 5th Tuesday event in June?
Jim Mayes also brought up the idea of not having a meeting on June 9th (since the Installation Banquet is that night) and having one of our 4 June meetings on June 30th instead (the 5th Tuesday). How do you feel about that? In favor of it? Too confusing? I welcome your feedback.
As you might have noticed from today’s Google Doodle, today is the birthday of the first American woman in space, Sally Ride.
“All adventures, especially into new territory, are scary.”
Sally Ride (1951-2012)
This video has nothing to do with Sally Ride or anything from our meeting. Today is a Tuesday that feels like a Monday so I felt that we deserved a little Dr. Teeth and the Electric Mayhem (best band name ever).
Yours in Rotary Service,
Kristin Grace Krebs