Meeting Recap, 6/23/2015
Posted By admin
Happy Tuesday, Rotarians.
Need to Know:
- Next week is a 5th Tuesday so we do not have a regular club meeting next week.
- Our next board meeting has been moved from Thursday, June 25th to noon on Tuesday, June 30th at DD Hamilton.
- Our Rotary calendar year ends on June 30th. If you want to make a donation to the Rotary Foundation for this calendar year, please get your donation to Jenny Gardner this week. You can also make donations to the Rotary Foundation online at Rotary.org.
- The Chamber of Commerce is looking for volunteers to work at the Rodeo next weekend. If you would like to help, please contact the Chamber.
- Go ahead and put this on your calendar now: our 3rd Annual Romance Raffle will be held on Saturday, February 13, 2016.
In addition to our speaker, Stephanie Jarkins, our guests today were Stephanie’s husband David, who works in Marshfield at ACCS Components, and Patty Tierney, author and former speaker to our club
Stephanie Jarkins spoke about Kumon Math & Reading Center. Stephanie is a former professor and author who recently purchased the Kumon franchise in Springfield. Kumon is an after-school math and reading program founded by a math teacher in Japan in the 1950’s. Kumon uses a worksheet method, which includes examples on how to solve problems to encourage students to self-learn concepts. Each student must do daily worksheet assignments and meet with an instructor once or twice a week. The Kumon method emphasizes repetition and discipline with daily worksheets so that students truly understand the math or reading concept before moving on. For more information, check out www.kumon.com or contact Stephanie at 881-3800. Or ask Leslie Thomas who has two kids in the program.
So our Rotary year is coming to an end this month and today was my last regular club meeting as your president. Thank you for the opportunity to be your president and for putting up with me all year. I feel that our club has accomplished a lot to help the community this year, plus we’ve had some fun times, too. I am happy to pass the gavel to Scott Jones. I know that Scott will do a terrific job as our next Rotary president. Best of luck, Scott!
“Often when you think you’re at the end of something, you’re at the beginning of something else.”
Fred Rogers (1928-2003)
My last Rotary Recap as the Prez without a Muppets video? Absolutely not. Take it away, Beaker:
Yours in Rotary Service,
Kristin Grace Krebs